Marina N.wrote a review of Salomon XT Wings 3 Trail Running Shoe - Men's on October 17, 2014
Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Fit: True to size
Just ordered another pair. This will be my second Wings 3, prior to that two pairs of Wings 2 and one of Wings (eeee, it has been awhile). They just keep getting better. Great for my running and Nordic Running (add ski poles to your running and go 4x4, legs and arms engaged).
In general, I dumped everything else for Salomon long time ago.
Among Salomon products Wings 3 have been the best by far. I have tried Speedcross, and I am back to The Wings! Many reasons for that:
1. excellent traction for Arizona or Southern California trails- grippy on steep, rocky hard pack covered with layer naturally decomposed granite, that stuff makes it slippery, and you may go into a skid or slide just like too much throttle on a dirt bike.
2. strong and thick soles to last against that 'sandpaper' granite and stop cholla cactus clusters from getting through.
3. yet very light and articulated
4. great stability, no slant or pronation that causes ankle twist
5. strong top material to resist the same bloody cactus clusters
6. breathable, no annoying 'waterproofing' that make your feet boil.
7. great toe guards.
One thin that I don't like in all Salomons: speed laces do not last, have to be replaced much sooner than shoes, and do not hold well (too 'slippery'). Have to stop every now and then to tighten the laces.
I wish there were high ankle versions of Wings 3, for keeping rocks, cactus clusters, thorns, sand etc. from entering the shoes.
Gaiters help but they would not last very long in AZ desert.
As a suggestion: for taller ladies with narrow, long feet with skinny pointy toes and small arches try to use mens version. Ladies models seem to feel too wide, too much volume in the arch and below ankle area, designed for stubby, stocky feet with short straight-across toes. I buy mens size and half smaller than my normal ladies size (for example 7.5 mens for 9 ladies), yet you may try your own conversion.