This is one of the few 5 star items hanging in my closet. I'm a beast when it comes to reviewing jackets (my closet is full of an embarrassing amount) and I have few 5 star coats in my arsenal. Here is why this one takes the cake.
1. Recycled Down: WHAT? Yes. Patagonia responsibly sources their down from products like comforters, old jackets, or pillows and gives it a new life rather than sacrificing new birds to keep us warm. I think that is pretty darn neat, and I feel a little bit better about sporting down, knowing this fact.
2. Fit is Perfect: I don't know what those wizards are doing over at Patagonia but their woman's fit is one word: DIALED. I am 5'3" and 120lbs and the size small is perfectly tailored in every way.
3. Details, Details, Details: I loved the silky taffetta lining inside the vest. It's a lovely floral pattern. I think it beautifully contrasts with the more masculine and utilitarian feel of the tough/thick DWR outer fabric. This appeals to my inner girly-girl, who I try to keep hidden. The pockets are lined with a nice, cozy fabric that's ideal for chilly hands.
4. Durability: Besides being water resistant this fabric is really abrasion resistant too. It's thick and ready to rumble. I honestly do not mind paying a little extra for a Patagonia product, because I have perfect confidence it will spend the next 10 years in my closet. 100% worth it 100% of the time, every time.
5. Classic: I may not be much of a fashionista, but the clean lines on this vest won't go out of style anytime soon. It's cozy, cute, and fetching. Did I also mention it's warm? I tend to run hot, so adding an extra layer to my core is the perfect way to bundle up on chilly mornings or campfire nights. With the down feathers, this one is warmer than most; it's QUITE thick! But not so thick as to transport you into Michelin Man territory.
I'd been lusting after this vest for 18 months. I can't say I'm surprised but it's my most commonly used piece of fall attire. Can't wait to apres all over the canyons in this thing for winter!