- Detail Images
A stability shoe that provides mid-foot pronation support for long-distance road runners.
It's rare that a shoe achieves an almost-perfect balance of weight, support, and cushioning, but the Pearl Izumi Men's EM Road M 3 Running Shoe might just be one of the exceptions. Made for long-distance road running, this shoe targets runners in need of mid-foot pronation stabilization. The broad E:Motion midsole platform and high-density medial post corrects and cushions each foot strike and provides just the right amount of lateral release and medial stability. Both the heel and forefoot feature spring Energy Foam for cushioning and lively rebound, a helpful touch given the low-drop midsole that smooths your transition between heel, midfoot, and forefoot striking styles. Hit the road with this training shoe and cover massive distances with a little extra stability and support.
- Seamless construction gives the upper a comfortable feel against the foot
- Transfer Dry mesh upper allows air to flow freely across the foot and dries and drains water quickly
- E:Motion midsole is designed to provide the most cushioning and broadest platform for maximum pronation stability
- Dynamic Offset E:Motion midsole changes from 1mm at contact to 4.5mm at mid-stance to smooth out every stride
- 1:1 Energy Foam cushions the forefoot and offers explosive rebound for toe-off
- 1:1 Shock Absorption Foam absorbs and diffuses impact at the heel
- Blown rubber and carbon rubber outsole provide traction on and off the road and supreme abrasion resistance for long-term durability
Share your thoughts
Good for a midfoot striker
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: Runs small
I'm really pleased with this shoe, right out of the box. (Be forewarned, it runs small. I'm usually a 9.5 or 10 and the right fit for me in this shoe is size 11.) For me, once I had the right size, I was good to go. I bought this on a Saturday, ran 3 miles that afternoon, and then ran 26 the next day with no fear. The 'seamless upper' is comfy. The offset is (according to PI) "Dynamic Offset: 4mm at initial contact to 7.5mm at mid-stance," which is a little different than the text in the Backcountry description. I run in this shoe coming out of a zero drop ALTRA, as a long time midfoot striker, and felt like this shoe was built for my stride. Also, it is billed by PI as having some motion control. Unlike other motion control shoes I've run in the past (eg Saucony) this didn't feel notably hard on the inside of the foot. (Photo shows NB MT 10, Altra Instinct, Inov8 Trailroc 235, PI EM Trail N2, PI EM Road M3 and PI Peak II.)
Pearl Izumi EM Road M 3 Running Shoe
Run really small
I tried this shoe a half size larger than my normal size at someone's recommendation and it was still too tight. You may need to size up a full size to get the right fit. I never could get it right so I passed on them - but that could just be my foot... Otherwise they seem well built and had nice cushion without feeling bulky.