- Detail Images
Serious protection for the side-country.
Constructed from fleece-backed 3-layer Gore-Tex Soft Shell, the Outdoor Research Women's Vanguard Jacket provides enthusiastic side-country riders with the warmth and waterproof protection they need to ski out-of-bounds terrain. CrossFlo chest-to-hip zippers allow you to dump heat when side-stepping up the ridge, and the unique ThumbDrive cuffs keep snow out while preventing sleeves from riding up.
- 3-layer Gore-Tex Soft Shell provides guaranteed waterproof and breathable protection
- Fully taped seams and water-resistant zippers keep wet conditions out
- Fleece backing provides softness and warmth
- Relaxed fit and articulated sleeves leave space for mid-layers and provide freedom of movement
- CrossFlo chest-to-hip zippers provide ventilation when you hike for some turns
- Fully adjustable, removable, and helmet-compatible hood protects in stormy conditions
- Removable powder skirt seals around hips to keep snow out
- Lockdown technology in the powder skirt provides a jacket-to-pants interface when connected with compatible Outdoor Research pants
- ThumbDrive cuffs seal around wrists, and thumbholes prevent sleeves from riding up
- Hand, chest, media, and interior pockets safely stow essentials
- Integrated RECCO reflector may expedite rescue in an emergency situation
Share your thoughts
Does anyone have a customer photo of this...
Does anyone have a customer photo of this jacket in black? Not a product photo, as I see many conflicting images online (blue zipper or black zipper). Black is my first choice right now (yes, I know it's out of stock here). Any help is appreciated.
What color is the Trillion? On this website...
What color is the Trillion? On this website it looks raspberry w/gray. On the Outdoor Research it looks more pink with black.
My wife's go-to jacket.
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: True to size
I searched and searched for a coat that was bulletproof... after 2 years I found it. This coat is just roomy enough for any layering you need and well as completely wind/water proof. This coat will do it all... worth it's weight in gold!
Is this jacket windproof?
Is this jacket windproof?
This type of Gore material will block the wind effectively, even though it's not specifically Gore Windstopper. Even with the wind blocked though, you should plan to have some heat loss just by transfer, so layer up for insulation against the cold.
For the price, you should look at the full specs directly from OR (and yes, being windproof is one of them)....and here they are:
Hope this helps.
I use the Vanguard for days when I am riding chairlifts or know I'll be doing short hikes (for longer hiking days I find it to be a little heavy). It is one of the toughest jackets I have owned and has survived a season with a lot of travel and skiing with no major detriment to the fabric. Love the cross flow zippers and the thumb drive cuff (allows you to secure the jacket around your thumb)! Also, I am always looking for longer shells and this is the perfect fit. The bottom of the jacket falls just at the top of my thighs.
My jacket is trillium, which looks a lot different than the photo shown here. It is much more of a pink (a better pink in my opinion) than the red depicted here. To get a better sense of the color, you should visit the OR site.
In general, this is exactly the kind of jacket I like for almost every day--a strong, durable shell, no hot and sweaty insulation, great length and fit, and a fun color. Thanks OR!
My Armor for the Mountain
- Gender: Female
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
This piece surprised me. I thought - "OK a Gore Softshell... waterproof, breathable, quiet fabric..." but the Vanguard offered so much more: cross flow venting that didn't get in the way of my pack harness, removable powder skirt, Recco, well thought out pockets, and "thumb drive", a unique way to keep your sleeve from riding up while you are bombing down. On top of all of that, Outdoor Research guarantees every piece infinitely... This company is doing it right.