- Community Images
Old-school looks and new-school tech.
The Outdoor Research BlackPowder Glove builds on sturdy, work-glove style and added the waterproof breathable protection of a Ventia Dry insert. This slick under-cuff glove might be rocking an old-school flavor, but the tech is as up-to-date as you can find. Outdoor Research even included a special bottle-opener ring to make it easy for you to get right to the celebrating after an epic day.
- Ventia waterproof breathable insert seals out moisture while helping water vapor escape
- Waxed goat leather and split suede construction offer extreme durability, dexterity, and style
- Supple leather palm and pinky sidewalls help you hold your grip without sacrificing mobility
- Strategically placed EnduraLoft insulation—200g in the palm, 340g on the top—holds the cold at bay without creating restrictive bulk
- Brushed tricot lining is soft on your skin for all-day comfort
- Rib knit cuff blocks snow and cold air from sliding in
- Built-in bottle-opener ring rotates to the palm to crack open a frosty one, and then rotates back around for more shredding
Share your thoughts
Rings gotta go!
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: True to size
This is the 3rd set of gloves from Outdoor Research that I own. Each has a use, and different conditions that I like to use them in. That being said, I love the gloves! These are well made, quite warm and seem to be rather durable. I was a little leery of not having any kind of toggle or closure on the glove, but that does not seem to be an issue. Just make sure to tuck the cuff up under your sleeve. I wear a 7.5 in a medical glove, and a medium seems to fit quite well. They seem to be quite warm, and after a healthy dose of leather/suede protector I have little worry about wetness. Now, the ring....... uuhhhgggg. With a smaller size hand, and the ring being as large as it is, if you try and hold onto anything, grab anything, or make a fist, the ring starts digging into your fingers. I am not a drinker, and have no use for the can opener option. So, I just got done in my workshop with a hacksaw. Now, I have a great, comfortable set of gloves!
I like them
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: Runs small
I'm a patroller at Brighton ski resort and I have just put these guys through a real test in the last month. Setting up the hill, any control, and a week of single digit temps, these gloves have held up great. I personally love the bottle opener for skiing with friends on the day off and always being the guy able to lend a quick hand in opening that chair lift beer without getting into a bag or pocket. I would say that the sizing runs small, I've always been between a med and a large and I could of went with the large but after a couple weeks of stretching the mess will do.
Sweet Pair of Gloves
The OR Blackpowder gloves are a great pair of gloves to keep those hands warm on most days. After applying some Nikwax to these badboys, they have been staying pretty dry. No to impressed with the design of the bottleopener ring but a cool feature. Bottomline: 2 Thumbs Up
OR Black Powder Glove - Opener Hidden
Here's a shot of the opener when not in use on the OR Black Powder Glove.
Great Ski/Work Gloves with Hidden Opener
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
The OR Black Powder Gloves are a great update to the traditional work-styled ski gloves. Warm, Comfortable, and have a hidden bottle opener in the finger - in this picture, I have spun it around so that it can be used to open a cold beer... once you're done using it, you just spin it back like a ring, and it's 100% out of the way and unnoticeable - I'll post a picture of that too.