When it comes to backcountry touring, safety is king, and the Ortovox Free Rider 24 Backpack puts safety first so you can ski or snowboard safely in the backcountry. Unique to the Free Rider is the Spine Protection System Pro² back panel that can be removed and slid under your ski shell, which might bring more peace of mind if you start sliding down an icy couloir. The pack also boasts a separate compartment specifically designed for avalanche gear like probes and shovels.
The Free Rider carries ice axes, ski poles, helmets, snowboards vertically, and skis diagonally, at a criss-cross, or an A-frame. Rear and front access points grant access to the pack's main compartment so you can get gear with skis or a snowboard attached to the pack. Ortovox made the Free Rider hydration compatible with a sleeve for the reservoir and a port for the reservoir's tube. A hip pocket stashes small accessories, and the top pocket has a removable case to protect goggles.
- A backcountry pack with extra safety features for skiers
- Removable Spine Protection System Pro² back panel
- Separate compartment stores avalanche safety gear
- Ski, snowboard, snowshoe, ice axe, ski pole, and helmet carry
- Rear and front access points to main compartment
- Hip pocket and removable goggle case
- Hydration compatible sleeve and port
- Item #ORT001M
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I am very impressed with this Ortovox bag. Excellent attention to detail, great fit (it distributes the weight on your hips well), and a lot of options for storing/carrying your gear. I like the velcro waist belt. I've recommended this to my friends, family, and just about anyone else whose asked about it.