At under two pounds, it might blow away in a stiff breeze.
If you prefer to travel fast and light in the mountains, load up the minimalist-inspired Mountainsmith Haze 50 Backpack before you start up the trail. Despite a featherlight weight of under two pounds, this pack is still comfortable to carry thanks to the innovative ICS Cup hip-belt and air-mesh foam back panel. Plus, the DWR finish on contact points allows such points, like the hip-belt and back panel, to dry quickly after you work up a sweat on a steep set of switchbacks.
- EVA framesheet provides enough support to comfortably carry up to 35 pounds
- Air-mesh foam back panel and air-flow shoulder straps provide comfort and ventilation
- DWR anti-sweat finish on contact points allows the back panel and hip-belt to dry quickly
- Lumbar Control Point utilizes a pronounced padded area to connect the pack to the lumbar region of your back for improved load transfer and a better fit
- ICS (illiac crest shelf) Cup hip-belt allows you to pull the pack load over and onto your hips for improved load transfer and a more comfortable carry
- Pack weighs in at under two pounds, making it ideal for fast-and-light excursions
- Top-loading main compartment has X-Cross compression straps to help balance the load
- Dual front panel pockets provide quick access to essential gear
- Bottom compression straps help to balance the load
- Front daisy chain and ice axe loops function as versatile attachment points
Share your thoughts
How well will this pack compress? Would...
How well will this pack compress? Would this be usable, for example, on summer 14er climbs? Or would it be overkill?
Does this pack have a hydration sleeve &...
Does this pack have a hydration sleeve & port?
This pack doesn't come with its own reservoir but it does have a lined sleeve with a reservoir hanger.
What are the measurements size-wise for...
What are the measurements size-wise for this pack? I need for a small or extra small woman (about 15 inches)
I am not sure exactly what measurement you are looking for. The weight, dimensions, and volume measurements for this pack in both S/M and M/L are listed with the tech specs on the left side of this product page. If these are not what you are looking for please let us know more specifically what measurement you need on this bag and we will find that out for you.
Would this hold a Bearvault (BV500) inside?...
Would this hold a Bearvault (BV500) inside? Unfortunately, I have to carry one. Thanks.
The Bear Vault BV500 Bear Resistant Food Canister dimensions are 8.7" x 12.7" while the Mountainsmith Haze 50 Backpack has dimensions of 11.5" x 23". I think the BV500 should be able to fit in your pack just fine, but of course, that will depend on what else you are trying to put in there with it.
P.S. While this pack is fairly durable, I would remove the Bear Vault at night if you want this pack to last very long.
Mountainsmith Haze 50 Ultralight Backpac
The Haze 50 is a minimalist toploader, weighing in at less than 2 lbs. It delivers exceptional trail performance at half the weight of a traditional internal frame pack. Best suited for loads around 30-40 pound loads and ultralight gear choices, this pack can go from long weekend to thru hikes to adventure travel throughout the seasons. Using a modified version of the Mountainlight suspension system, this pack utilizes the DWR coated airmesh foam for increased breathability, and innovative ICS Cup (Illiac Crest Shelf) hipbelt that transfers and locks the pack load onto the hips and the Lumbar Control Point? pad on the lower backpanel to fully secure the pack load against the user's major weight bearing point, the lumbar/sacrum region. Pair the Haze 50L Mountainlight backpack with our Mountain Shelter LT and you have a pack/shelter combo coming in at an astounding 4 lbs
Great Pack for the Lightweight Inclined
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
This is an awesome pack that weighs in at under two pounds. With a top loading drawstring closure top this pack makes it easy to stow your gear. The two outside zipper pockets are good for things like your water purification pump or some snacks for breaks on the trail. There are two DEEP elastic mesh pockets on either side of the pack for your water bottles, and these pockets make a 1L Nalgene Bottle disappear (I repeat DEEP). This pack also has top and bottom strap attachment points for stowing your sleeping pad, sleep system or tent. The Haze also has Compression straps , Yellow daisy chain style attachment point in center of two zippered pockets, trekking pole attachment points (yellow draw cords) and interior hydration bladder carrier. Most of the pockets and attachment points on this bag are multi-use, which is what I look for in everything I buy.