- Community Images
Kind to your back and your wallet.
For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a full-featured expedition-style pack that carries as comfortably as the Mountainsmith Apex 80 Backpack. The ICS Cup waist belt, Lumbar Control Point pad, and Delta Wing straps are all designed to effectively transfer up to 75 pounds of pack weight onto and over your hips for comfortable hiking, and the detachable lid converts to a lumbar pack for day hikes out of base camp.
- Y-Frame dual aluminum stay suspension provides support for heavy multi-day loads up to 75 pounds
- Y-Frame suspension adjusts from 17 to 22 inches for a custom fit
- Anvil Airway Perspiration Control System features twin elevated foam pads with an open spinal column for ventilation and moisture control
- Lumbar Control Point utilizes a pronounced padded area to lock the pack onto the lumbar region of the spine for improved load transfer and a better fit
- ICS (illiac crest shelf) Cup hipbelt has an exaggerated curve that works with the Delta Wing Compression straps to allow you to pull the pack load onto and over your hips for improved load transfer and a more comfortable carry
- Dual density shoulder straps won't dig in
- Top access makes for organized packing
- Front panel pocket keeps essential items close at hand and provides zippered access to the main compartment
- SlingShot detachable top lid coverts to a lumbar pack or shoulder sling for day hikes
- Side panel accessory pockets provide quick access to gear
- Side mesh water bottle pockets help you stay hydrated
- Separate sleeping bag compartment allows you to pack and access sleep gear without unloading the entire pack
- Side compression straps help to balance the load
- Ice axe and trekking pole loops provide secure external attachment points
Share your thoughts
Best investment that I've made so far
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I ordered this pack a month or so ago, spent my entire paycheck on it and honestly it was worth every bit of the week that i struggled afterwards! so far i have only taken it on a few day hikes, and one overnighter on the dawkins trail in kentucky. the only thing im disappointed about is that i dont have enough stuff to fill it! over all its a geat pack at a great price point. its made out of quality material and highly functional the main compartment fits anything and everything. The side pockets are big enough to fit my entire hammock setup. And the daisy chains are just an attractive bonus... Can't wait to take it on a thru hike of the A.T.
How well will this back compress? Does it...
How well will this back compress? Does it cinch down small enough that it would work for a weekend trip or even an overnighter?
I dont think it would compress to a pack that would be suited for a weekend trip and definitely not an over nighter. Could you use it? Of course, its just going to be heavy but, you could get away with it. People take packs like this on huge expeditions. You could take the brain of the pack off to make it smaller, even rip out the aluminum stays but, you cant make the pack that much smaller.
Mountainsmith Apex 80
A video description of the features for the Apex 80, great for a mulit-day trip.
Mountainsmith Apex 80 Backpack
I received my pack yesterday and was realy surprised,not only is the forest green a true beauty it is far larger then I thought,and u should advertise the hydration feature,a pleasant surprise as well...iv already gotten her loaded up and ready to rock as soon as it isn't 10 below....holds all the weight I pack easily,and I pack heavy not to mention all the outside storage.....this pack if it works like it looks,is simply amasing.....
is there a front view of this pack??and...
is there a front view of this pack??and does it fit a large man???im shaped like a barrel,5-7inch 250.....I know the kelty 110 will fit me,I need to know if this would??
this site is amasing,at 2am I had a fella answer all my questions give me a full view of the pack and gave me sights to view it....I am sure this bag will be as good as the service,i am psyched......I will buy all I can right here
Is there another version of this that is...
Is there another version of this that is hydration compatible? I've read elsewhere that it is.
The Apex 80 is hydration compatible with an internal sleeve and tube exit ports.