- Detail Images
The obvious choice for rainy weather.
When you're backpacking through deciduous rain forests in the northwest, rain can start to fall at almost any time. With the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3 DP Tent's innovative DryPitch technology, you can quickly pitch the fly before the tent in rainy weather, which allows you to stay dry while setting up the tent under the protection of the two vestibules. Dual doors allow you to get to your sleeping bag without stumbling over your two tent mates and tough construction materials provide ample protection for spring, summer, or fall excursions. Plus, the DryPitch system allows you to set up an ultra-light minimalist shelter using only the fly, poles, and DryPitch footprint.
- Poly knit mesh canopy provides ventilation, bug protection, and star gazing on clear nights
- Nylon taffeta floor has a fully taped perimeter and welded corners to keep wet conditions out
- Nylon ripstop fly is fully taped with a 1500mm PU coating for guaranteed watertight protection
- DAC Featherlight poles provide structural support while keeping weight to a minimum
- Two dry entry vestibules and doors provide easy entry and gear storage
- Steep wall design maximizes livable space and comfortably sleeps 3 adults
- DryPitch technology allows you to pitch the fly before the tent so you can set up the tent in the rain and stay dry
- DryPitch system allows you to set up an ultra-light fast-pitch shelter with just the fly, poles, and included DryPitch footprint
- Trail weight is just 4 pounds 2 ounces, fast-pitch weight is 2 pounds 9 ounces
Share your thoughts
Great all around tent
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
This is a great tent and is incredibly light weight. It would be a bit small for 3 people but fits 2 people very well and given the weight, it is perfectly fine in that regard. It is very easy to set up as well.
I am a tall guy (6'2'') and this tent fits me fine.
I use to have the previous version of this tent, had an issue with it after a few years that was not related to wear, sent it back to MH and got credit to buy a new one. Between MH and Backcountry's return policy, it makes it an easy purchase. That being said, do wait for a sale if you can since it is regularly 20% off.
Superb tent, but wait for a sale
I very much liked the two person version of this tent, but as I wrote in that review, in my opinion the Skyledge2 is too short for taller folk. Well, this Skyledge3 addresses those concerns.
A few extra inches of length make all the difference, and the constant width is a welcome change from the Skyledge2's tapered foot area. The Skyledge3 is just eight inches wider than many two person tents, which apparently motivated Mountain Hardwear to call it a three person (I personally don't know many people only eight inches wide, even sleeping head-toe, but okay).
MH naming philosophies aside, I think this is a superb two person tent, ideal for two taller guys (6'1"+) or even wider guys and you won't feel cramped. The no-drip over the doors really works, the structure is incredibly strong, and the materials are top quality. I believe the Sky3 will work just fine as a four season tent (with suitable pad and bag). No, it's not for winter assault climbers or extreme wind conditions on the side of cliffs, but for snowcampers, snowshoers, cross country skiers, this is an exceptional choice.
I don't like MH forcing me to buy their overpriced footprint. In my opinion, $550 is too much for this product, but I won't knock off any stars for that. It's frequently on sale for 20-30% off, making it much more reasonable.
No, it's not as light as some Big Agnes tents or the 2014 Hubba line from MSR, but those tents are nowhere near as strong as this one. If your trips demand more than just lightweight, this is a superb product.
DP = Dry Pitch
Check out the details of our new and versatile Dry Pitch technology!