- Detail Images
- Community Images
Versatile shelter for the infinite variety of camping experiences.
No two camping trips are ever the same, which is why Mountain Hardwear gives you several different ways to pitch the Drifter 3 DP 3-Person 3-Season Tent. In warm, dry conditions you can use the minimalist Fastpitch fly-and-footprint setup; when a comet shower is scheduled, lie under the mesh-topped canopy alone; and of course, anytime you need reliable, comfortable backcountry shelter in a range of conditions, bring along the whole kit and enjoy.
- Tough polyester canopy and fly construction (68D and 75D, respectively) for many seasons of tough use
- Tough, lightweight DAC Pressfit poles
- Dual doors and vestibules for easy entry and exit and plenty of room to dry out wet gear
- Interior space of 43 square feet and nearly four feet of head clearance allow you and your friends to relax comfortably in the tent when the weather's bad
- Unique DryPitch feature allows you to set up the fly first so you can erect the tent under the protection of the fly when it's raining
- Footprint included so you can set up a superlight shelter with just the fly, footprint and poles
- Reflective guy-out loops, starter point and zipper pulls for easy set-up at night
- Gear loft (included) and mesh storage pockets provides convenient storage
- Guaranteed watertight construction tested in Mountain Hardwear's Rain Room to 1200 inches in 24 hours
Share your thoughts
Quick and Easy
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
Just got this tent and the first time I used it I had to set it up in the rain in the dark. No problems. It is quick to set up and as previous comments mention, super waterproof. Love the size of the tent, comfortable for two and easy to fit three. There is a great gear loft that comes with the tent as well as the footprint. Highly recommend this tent as a backpacking tent as well as one that's great for car camping. Two for one. Love it.
North GA rainstorm while car camping
Not a drop inside the tent in 8 hours of steady to heavy rain
Great all-around tent
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I have the older, non dry-pitch "DP" version of this tent, and it's the same except for the dry-pitch option.
I've used the tent several times, and it's really lived up to my expectations. I bought it as a dual purpose tent, I wanted it to be light enough for backpacking, but durable and easy enough to set up to just take car camping as well. It also needed to be relatively inexpensive, as I'm a grad student and can't afford several tents for different applications.
First, it's super easy to set up, just like most other two-pole tents. The clips work well, the poles are good quality, strong, and light, and I wouldn't think twice to sleep in it without staking it out. It's easy to set up. The main tent is pretty light too, it's the fly that adds the majority of the weight, so if you're sure you're going to be in dry weather, you could ditch the fly for backpacking and save a good amount of weight. The fly is easy to set up and stake out, no problems there, and the vestibule the fly creates are nice for leaving wet or muddy shoes, they stay dry.
Second, it's amazingly waterproof. I'm used to older waterproofing tech in tents from 10 or so years ago, and it seems that tent manufacturers have really improved on it. I recently camped in north Georgia, it rained from about 3AM until 11AM when I took the tent down, and it rained hard. Nothing soaked through the fly, I was dry all night, and I even set the tent up without a ground cloth or tarp, and no water came through the floor. I'm extremely impressed with how dry I have stayed in large amounts of rain.
It's a great tent, no problems whatsoever, although it's fairly basic. I'm pleased with it, and would definitely purchase again.
Nice tent so far
I haven't used it in the backcountry yet but I set it up and it looks awesome, this 3 person tent is perfect for 2 people comfterably. I love the fact that you can just set up the vestibule and the poles without the actual tent so its cool to just bring that with you on hikes for emergencies without having to bring the whole tent, can't wait to use this!
Hard Snow Storm Survival!
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Just a photo of a pretty decent snow storm this baby endured!
Great Easy Tent!
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I have used this thing is some really harsh weather and some really mild weather and it held up through it all! I will say that the 3 person is more like a 2 person plus gear so 3 people would be pretty tight in there but it is solid for 2 and great to split weight too! Easy set up and tear down, the stuff sack it comes with is loose so a different one would compact it even better. All around great 3 season!
DP = Dry Pitch!
Check out the details of our new and extremely versatile Dry Pitch technology...
Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3 DP Tent: 3-P
Rock solid tent!
Camping in Kerouac's footsteps...