Tons of ankle support, a low heel offset, and the waterproof protection you need to charge the trails in questionable conditions.
Although the Merrell Men's Mix Master Tuff Mid Waterproof Shoe might look imposing, its low heel offset and lightweight midsole materials will make you feel light on your feet when you're out on the trail. A burlier version of Merrell's popular Mix Master, this shoe features high ankle support and a waterproof membrane added to the same, nimble chassis. Run across dry creek beds and over loose trails and let the 12mm of cushioning soak up foot strikes and the impact of rough surfaces. This shoe works for an intermediate or advanced trail runner who prefers the natural feeling of a low-drop shoe combined with thicker cushioning and added weather and ankle protection, and this shoe also does wonders for the fast-paced hiker who's looking for a minimal, lightweight hiking shoe.
- Waterproof membrane blocks out external moisture from rain or muddy puddles so your toes stay dry and comfortable
- Fabric and synthetic uppers feel light on your foot, cool on hot days, and dry quickly when sweat or external moisture threaten your toes
- Strobel construction (or force lasting) involves a construction technique that sews a sock liner directly into the upper, after which the upper is forced over a foot mold (or last) and the midsole and outsole are connected to the base
- Strobel construction results in a shoe with improved flexibility overall and, in particular, in the forefoot
- 2mm EVA insole offers light cushioning and mildly dampens the effect of foot strike on your ankle and knee
- EVA footbed is durable, lightweight, and it features an Aegis antimicrobial treatment that repels the bacteria that cause odors
- Midsole features a total of 12mm of cushioning that soaks up the impact of heavy footstriking or rough terrain
- Float midsole is 10% thinner and 25% lighter than previous Merrell midsoles
- Air cushioning further improves the shock-absorbing properties of the heel and evens out the feel of the cushioning so you feel more balanced should you heel-strike
- 4mm heel offset more closely aligns your heel height with your toe height to encourage a more natural midfoot or forefoot strike running style or hiking gait and improved proprioceptive balance the moment your foot strikes the ground
- 1mm thick plate protects your forefoot from rough surfaces so you can transfer more strike impact to the front of your foot rather than the heel
- 3.5mm lugs give the sticky rubber outsole the traction needed for loose dirt and trails without causing the shoe to feel sluggish across paved surfaces
- Bellows tongue keeps dirt, debris, and small rocks from slipping into your shoe when you’re on the trail
- Reflective detailing makes you more visible to car headlights once you're on the road or in a trail-head parking lot