- Community Images
Lamson quality that won't break the bank.
Featuring the same conical drag system and large arbor ratios as the most expensive Lamson reels, the Guru Fly Reel provides high-end performance at a price that won't break the bank. The machined aluminum body and open spoke design give the Guru style, stiffness, and strength while the large arbor increases the rate of retrieval and provides constant drag torque.
- Patented conical drag system utilizes a pair of matched conical elements rather than the disk system commonly used in reels, the result is a super-smooth drag that is completely sealed from sand, grit, and moisture
- Pocket milling on the spool and an open spoke design improve strength and stiffness while keeping the weight to just 4.9 oz (for the Guru 2)
- Torrington zero-lash roller clutch provides instant torque transmission without shocking the line and leader like a standard pawl clutch system
- Large arbor design increases the width and circumference of the spool to eliminate line recoil memory, increase the rate of retrieval, and provide constant drag torque during even the longest runs
- Type 2 anodized for a clean look and abrasion resistance
- If you're buying a reel or spool and fly line, we'll be happy to rig it up for you, please give us a call at (855)-712-0513 for details
Share your thoughts
Sage VXP combo with Guru 2
Awesome all around budget combo
Performance for pennies on the dollar
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I have this reel in a 1.5 and 2 diameter. I only have good things to say about this reel. It feels like a more expensive reel and the quality is spot on. The drag is super smooth. So far I have not had one problem with the reels. If you are in the market for a new reel but don't want to spend the big bucks on a more expensive model look no further. It is quite amazing the quality offered in this reel for such a low cost considering this is made in Idaho!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Just got back from a Steelhead trip in Central NY. This reel performed flawlessly. The drag is silky smooth and handled large fish in freezing cold weather very well. The size 3 is perfect for a 10ft 6 or 7wt. Best reel in its price range for sure. Will get another one soon!
Hard to Beat
Just to echo what everyone else has said on here, you really cant beat the Guru for the price they are offered at. I have a size 3 and a size 4 for a 6wt and an 11wt in the limited run of black anodizing. The finish is awesome and the black is even cooler then the normal silver, which my buddy has a 1.5 in. We have never had a single issue with any of these reels within the years we've owned them. You will not be disappointed in this reel.
Swing swing swing
Cant beat it for the money
You cant beat this real for the money. I have 2 of the size 4 for my Spey Reels and the anniversary edition of the 3.5 for my switch rod. For a company based right in my backyard (ID) and made in the good ole USA, you cant beat it. Ive used both reels for 3+ season and not a single problem. Sure, you could get something lighter, but weight doesnt matter for me on big two handed rods. I doubt it would on smaller sizes either. Unless you have shoulder problems, etc. Get it, you'll love it. And if not, send it back for a full refund whenever you want!
I have the 1.5 and 3.0 sizes and love them. They look great and work well and it's hard to beat made in USA for fly gear. I haven't really needed to use the drag on them yet, but it seems pretty smooth from my hand tests.
This reel lightweight, excellent performance, made in USA and a reel steal at Backcountry.com; i couldn't resist the quality and prices at Backcountry; so i bought 2 reels. i wish they had size 4 for sale.
are these reels left hand retrieve?
are these reels left hand retrieve?
I don't know which direction they come out of the box, but you can switch the retrieve direction very easily. See the link below on how to do it.