Select your style & size:Select options
All the advantages of the Maximus lineage in a type-III-rated design that's destined for whitewater or aggressive sea paddling.
Kokatat made the Maximus Personal Flotation Device for whitewater boaters and aggressive sea kayakers who prefer to hit the water with the extra protection of a full-size vest. The type-three Maximus puts all the webbing adjustments up front where they're easy to reach, while wide neoprene shoulder panels and a free-floating front flotation panel give you the freedom of movement required to boof, cartwheel, loop, and carve the face of ocean waves without feeling held back. In terms of added features, the Maximus is a step down from the Prime (a vest designed specifically for whitewater rescuers), but offers the same adjustable fit, side-entry closure, and full-size protection at a lower price tag.
- Type III rating identifies this as a performance PFD designed specifically for swift-moving water and whitewater
- Outer shell is made of 500D Cordura that's not only extremely durable, but it's also quick-drying
- Gaia foam is PVC-free to make it more friendly to the environment and it provides reliable, high-performance flotation a rescuer or serious paddler can count on
- Front-And-Center webbing adjustments give you quick, one-pull adjustment of the fit of your PFD
- Side-entry design ensures that you immediately get the correct fit at the shoulders and around the torso
- Rugged, side-entry zipper sits low and close to the PFD and it's capable of withstanding season-after-season of use on the river
- Shoulder straps feature soft neoprene material and a wide cut that ensures ultimate mobility and comfort
- Front flotation panels and webbing adjustments use a Dynamic Suspension System design that ensures the most unrestricted range of motion around your core
- Other features include a front lash tab and a strobe anchor at the back of the PFD
- Large front pocket is gusseted to make it easy to stash waterproof electronics or safety tools in the front of your PFD
- Item #KOK0145
- Q & A
Love this jacket! I have ran with it for three years so far guiding down in Moab and its has held up real nice. The color obviously has faded and my zipper on the front pocket broke my second season. Other than those things the jacket is awesome! The neoprene shoulder straps at ehh bomb! I just wish it just a little more floatation for bigger water.
Excellent pfd, A couple little gripes
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
This is a great vest. Comfy and solid. I do wish that there was a M size. As a perfect medium sized person I fall right at the divide between xs/s and m/l. In the end I went with the xs/s. (It fits a bit larger than the specs would imply) Remember a whitewater vest should be very snug. Second, Kokatat has such a great 'MADE IN AMERICA' principal, it's a shame that this vest is made in CHINA. And it's not exactly inexpensive. I got a great deal on a closeout so I feel better about the purchase.
Great PFD whitewater guide
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I'm a whitewater raft guide on a class V river. This is the pfd we are all buying now.
Great movement because the top moves independently, it's not constricting. I don't notice it on the water because it's really comfortable and doesn't get in my way. The thick neoprene straps are greAt. They Prevent chafing and they stay put. Floats me high in the water and doesn't threaten to come off of me(even when getting worked in a hydraulic).
I love that it's easy to throw on and is super adjustable.
I'm not sure why the zipper is gasketed because it's not like it keeps the water out - there's a mesh vent on the front pocket.
I'm a 5'6'' and 140lbs female and the small is a good size for me. Lots of room still. My 6'2'' 225lbs friend wears the large rescue version and swears by it.
Maximus in Coal
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Use for Sea Kayak and particularly Ocean White water.
Would benefit from a 25 mm Molle webbing patch centre back to fit Camelback Pakteen hydration pack. I dont like the Kokatat. tributary hydration pocket its too big. This is the only fault with the Maximus it fits well comes up slightly large which is good for big paddlers. The Strobe patch is on the front not the rear as described. front left slot pocket easily and securly accomodates the smaller range of waterproof VHF radios good storage for my Spyderco Salt knife Pocket large enough for a mobile phone in an Aquapac and perhaps 1 small food item.
Hydration options need a re think otherwise its the best PFD out there