A probe, pack, and shovel toolkit for the sidecountry crowd.
The K2 Pilchuck Backcountry Kit includes K2's Pilchuck ski pack, Carbon 230 Avalanche Probe, and Speed Shovel. The Carbon 230 probe is lightweight, strong, and easily able to pierce through thick snowpack while the Speed Shovel deploys quickly (thanks to an extendable shaft) and excavates concrete-like debris like no other. Both tools slide into their respective pockets in the light-and-fast Pilchuck pack.
- Pack suspension includes padding, load adjustment straps, and a waist-belt and sternum strap that help evenly distribute heavy loads
- A-frame mounting system allows you to mount a snowboard vertically or skis centrally or on the left or right sides depending on your carry preference
- Probe sleeve and durable shovel compartment keep your avalanche safety tools close at hand and easy to reach at a moment's notice
- Integrated sleeve holds a hydration bladder (bladder not included), and insulated drinking tube routing keeps water from freezing solid inside the drinking tube
- Shovel's lightweight aluminum shaft and blade mean less weight on your back without sacrifice to integrity or durability
- Extendable shaft operates by unlocking the lower shaft via a small push-button that operates quickly and easily, even with gloves on
- Blade has small holes that can be used to thread webbing or rope through in order to make a deadman's anchor or rescue sled (with skis)
- Probe's lightweight, stiff carbon shaft and metal head are strong and stiff so you can easily punch through thick snowpack and avie debris
- Trigger Pull handle and a cord inside the probe let you pull the handle and assemble the probe in a second or less; handle also features a contoured shape to enable super-compact storage in a pack
- Backslide Auto Lock just below the handle safely locks the probe in place for drills and rescues and features a textured grip so you can tighten it while wearing gloves
- Always head into the backcountry with a probe, shovel, beacon, and partner
- Avalanche gear only benefits you and your party after you take an avalanche course and regularly practice your skills