Select your style & size:Select options
Your choice when keeping gear dry is the only option.
When you need your gear to stay absolutely dry, there's just no compromise to be had. That's when the new Filson Medium Dry Duffel gets its chance to shine. Filson started construction of this beast by using burly 18oz vinyl-coated polyester for a durable, waterproof outer. The rolltop closure ensures that nothing unwanted gets into, or out of, your bag. You have your choice of carrying options with standard handles that clasp in the middle, or an adjustable and removable shoulder strap, so you can really haul some loads around.
- 18oz vinyl-coated polyester
- Removable shoulder strap
- Handle straps
- Rolltop closure
- Item #FSN001Q
- Q & A
Filson Medium Dry Duffel
Filson Medium Dry Duffel
Burly, but not truly Dry...
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
First of a big thank you to Filson and Backcountry.com for selecting me to review this product for the benefit of our community! I'll keep my review honest and to the point, so here's a rundown on pros and cons.
1. BURLYYY! The material on this bag is thick and bombproof. I'm actually confident that if I have grandchildren someday I could pass this duffel onto them. It would take a serious amount of abuse to tear this bag, there are no zippers to worry about, the only part that I could see breaking would be the plastic buckles.
2. Style in simplicity. I really like the classic look of the bag. No frills about it, just a rugged, simple, clean looking product.
1. Not truly a dry bag. This bag will hold up to any amount of rain or splashing with no worries about keeping items inside safe and dry. However, I did test the possibility of a raft flip (my first thought on this bag was that it would be perfect for river trips) but when holding the bag down on a creek (not fully submerged but upside down with the roll closure securely closed) and it took on a serious amount of water quickly. All clothes inside were thoroughly soaked. It is completely splash proof, but you just can't fully seal the roll top closure.
2. No organization. While I do like simplicity, I do wish there was some kind of way to keep things separated. There is only the one main compartment, no side compartments of any kind inside to keep smaller items together. The shoulder strap is also barebones, no kind of padding for comfort if you're lugging anything heavy. Also the velcro strap that goes over the roll top is not adjustable for different load sizes, it would be great to be able to cinch that down ontop of the closure.
At the end of the day I really do appreciate how well constructed the material on this bag is. However, the roll top closure needs some work to actually consider this a dry bag, which is what I consider the real selling point for this product. If they could fix that issue and add some simple side compartments inside I would give it 5 stars.
A Story of Stubbornness
does this bag have a zipper
No zipper, just a rolltop closure with buckles on the side and a velcro strap over the rolltop.