A 25-liter cover that secures to the ABS Avalanche Vario Base Unit (sold separately) and carries your backcountry safety tools and gear.
After you've checked the avy report for stable conditions, escape the crowds and venture out into the backcountry with the Dakine ABS Vario Cover Backpack attached to your airbag base unit. This durable Cover works in conjunction with the ABS Avalanche Vario Base Unit (sold separately) and easily and securely zips onto the Base Unit with the help of the Base Unit's unique YKK zipper system. Thanks to the Cover's 25-liter size you have more than enough room for all of your avy gear, snacks, spare gloves and goggles, puffy, and other small essentials for a short backcountry tour before or after work.
- Designed to integrate with the ABS Vario Base Unit (sold separately), an airbag unit that can be deployed in case of an avalanche and help your chances of survival by helping to keep you on top of snow debris
- Base Unit's unique YKK zipper system allows you to easily attach the Cover to the Base Unit in mere seconds and enables you to swap out other size Covers (sold separately) that supply more or less room depending on your touring needs
- 25-liter cover features plenty of room for food, spare goggles, your down puffy, first aid kit, skins, and other essentials during a short backcountry tour before or after work
- Top entry provides easy access to your gear, while a snow tool/shovel pocket located in the front of the pack holds your avy gear
- 630D nylon and 1260D ballistic nylon fabrics provide solid durability and abrasion resistance while you work for your turns
- Retractable cable ski carry for convenience
- ABS 25L allows you to carry your skis diagonally or carry your snowboard vertically
- Deployable helmet carry keeps your helmet out of the way and secure
- Ice axe loop stashes your ice axe and makes it easily accessible
- Editor’s Note: wearing this airbag system does NOT guarantee that you will survive an avalanche burial or a slide amidst avalanche debris; get educated, get the right tools, travel with partners, and be smart out there
- Item #DAK3530
- Q & A
Dakine ABS COver
its to small
Not what I was looking for
- Familiarity: I returned this product before using it
The first problem I had with this pack was that with my probe and shovel handle in the tools pocket the goggle pocket was rendered completely useless. I also could not fit my skins into the avy tool pocket. And not enough smaller pockets to store thing like snacks. Everything just ended up floating in the main compartment.
Not compatible with all ABS
- Familiarity: I returned this product before using it
Be careful. May be compatible with ABS Vario base, but is NOT compatible with ABS Powder 15 base from 2013. Have absolutely no idea why, bUt zipper on Vario base must be very slightly larger than zipper on Powder 15 from last year (and maybe other ABS packs as well ). More of an indictment on ABS for using different zipper sizes for absolutely no apparent reason, but limits compatibility of this pack.
Pretty Damn Good
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
For the past couple years I've been using a 38L F-stop Loka pack every day, most of the time without the camera block, and I've loved it. I was able to pick up an ABS Base unit pretty cheaply which came with a older 15L cover which I knew wouldn't cut it. I was hoping this 25L Dakine Vario would fit the bill, and I think it will, most of the time. A couple complaints: My G3 320cm probe does not fit in the avi tool pocket unless I absolutely jam it in there and stretch the fabric, so it has to sit in the main compartment (and in the middle). The shovel handle can fit inside the avi tool pocket (in two pieces) but really cuts down on space so it will sit in the outside sleeve. The helmet carry works well (I previously just used the compressions straps) but I am unsure as to how it will work with the diagonal ski carry. The ski carry system itself is much improved over past models.
I tend to carry a fair bit with me even on resort days(extra pairs of gloves, extra goggles, snacks, leatherman, 750ml water bottle and avi gear), just in case I want to go do a little slackcountry. All of that fits in easily, it's where packing for a full day tour gets a little trickier. (I've added two photos of the pack fully loaded for a day tour). In total it weighs 19.4 lbs. Even loaded to the brim the pack sits very nicely on your back and skis quite well. It isn't overly deep, and when only half full compresses nicely and fits on a lift without taking it off. The build quality is great, zippers are fantastic, lining is good and the pack is light.
- Slim fit, & easily compressible
- Carries well
- Avi tool pocket fits large shovel blade
- Build quality
- Large probe (G3 320cm) doesn't fit in avi tool pocket
- Shovel handle sticks out of outside sleeve preventing the pack from sitting flat when upright
- No A-frame ski carry
- No hydration capability
- Tight fit for everything on a full day tour.
The perfect pack
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I love my ABS airbag base unit, but the pack that came with it (vario 15) was not great. It was too narrow it easily put my shovel in, was too short for my snow saw and 300cm probe, and didnt have any sort of organization, just two basic pockets.
Getting rid of that and replacing it with this dakine 25 L pack is great. There is a fleece goggle pocket, easy ski carry (think any dakine heli pack), pockets for my avalanche tools (shovel, probe, BCA snowsaw all fit easily,) and this leaves another pocket for extra layers, gloves, food water, etc. The pack is very well thought out and easily zips onto a vario base unit. There is nothing I would change about this pack.
Everything here fits inside. Just.
Black Diamond Shovel (unsure on spec, but it's a big one)
Arc'teryx Atom LT
Hestra Anja Parson Pro Model
Hestra Ergo Spring Grip
G3 320cm speed tech probe
750ml Camelback podium big chill
2 x Oakley Crowbar
G3 Alpinist 130mm X-long skins
Black Diamond Spot headlamp
Banana, 2 x protein bar, GoPro, Garmin Edge, ski key, leatherman, Hestra leatherbalm
Vario 25L Fully Loaded
My Vario 25L fully loaded for a full day tour (contents photo to follow).
Brooks Range folding snow saw at 32 inches, fits in the pack like few others saw can
a snow saw that fits in this pack.
this Brooks Range saw folds to 16 inches & fits perfectly. My old Ortovox saw did not fit in this DaKine ABS cover
Super well thought out
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
DaKine hit this one out of the park, comparing this to the the ABS Vario 25/30 Liter covers everything is way more thought out in every aspect. The two things that are WAY BETTER than the ABS Vario covers are the ski/snowboard carry system & the storage of shovel/probe/snow saw/etc.
Can be used without ABS vario unit?
Can I carry fat skis, like 140 tail width?
This can be used with the with out the Vario unit. I used my all last winter with out it. All you need is the base unit.
My pack carried everything from 4FRNT devestators (108 underfoot), all the way up to my big ass Volant Spatulas (1whateverhugetheyare underfoot)
Does the Dakine ABS Vario Cover Backpack come with the regular panel that allows it to be used without the ABS Base unit?
The Dakine ABS Vario Cover Backpack comes with the regular panel to integrate easily with the ABS Base Unit using the YKK zipper system.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions about this Backpack or if you are interested in setting up an order.