Split-specific utility, bomber protection.
From brutal, wind-swept summits to heavy snowstorms, the rigors of splitboarding are numerous. Ideal for earning your turns in the backcountry in extreme weather, the Burton Men's AK 3L Freebird Gore-Tex Jacket provides an impenetrable barrier from raging winds, apocalyptic blizzards, and springtime slush. Gore-Tex Active 3-layer construction withstands the heaviest snow and outside moisture. Not only is Gore-Tex Active extremely waterproof, but just as important for the split crowd, enhanced breathability means you'll stay pleasantly dry from the inside-out during sweaty uphills on the skin track.
The lightest jacket in Burton's collection, the AK 3L Freebird Jacket easily stashes in your pack without taking up a lot of room. This is particularly handy for warmer days when you're skinning uphill without a jacket, but still require extra protection and warmth on the ride down. Another split-specific feature are zippered bellows pockets at the chest, which handily keep your climbing skins from freezing solid on those frigid days. There's also an internal dump pocket and zippered stash pocket for keeping essentials close at hand when you're miles from the nearest trailhead.
- Split-specific jacket for extreme alpine conditions
- Gore-Tex Active 3-layer is highly waterproof and breathable
- Fully taped to ensure impenetrable protection from moisture
- YKK water-resistant zippers and Cohaesive cinch adjusters
- StormForm Fulltime Contour Hood fits over your helmet
- Zippered, bellowed chest pockets fit climbing skins
- Internal dump and zippered pockets for extra storage
- Water-repellent powder skirt and jacket-to-pant interface
- Item #BUR01BS
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: Large
Burton didn't mess around with this jacket. It doesn't have the bells and whistles you might look for in a typical resort jacket. Instead it's more like a stripped down, high-performance backcountry machine. Super light weight, super pack-able, and stretchy! The stretch is huge, makes you more comfortable for everything from loading the car to scrambling up a sketchy ridge.
If you're looking for a high performance snowboard/ski shell I would highly recommend checking it out. I'll post back if I run into any longevity issues as the season goes on, but I've had great experience with my previous Burton purchases so I'm optimistic this investment will pay off.