Ever have trouble finding touring a skin to fit your mega-fat powder ski? Black Diamond's Ascension Nylon Split STS Climbing Skin was made for a ski with a waist of 120mm or wider. Rather than attempt to cover the entire base of your fat ski, this climbing skin uses plush nylon skin material closer to the edges, with a strip of mesh down the middle in order to aid packability and reduce weight. Now your pow ski CAN be your touring ski.
- Plush nylon material provides steadfast traction on the steepest slopes and smooth glide when you need to conquer a rolling track
- Gold Label Adhesive sticks to the bottom of your skis in the coldest and warmest temps and remains sticky season after season
- A section of webbing in the middle of the skins makes for easier packing and quick on and off
- Split skin-specific tip loop made for the massive shovels found on most powder skis
- Strong metal wire tip loop fits a wide range of ski tip sizes and can be easily adjusted or replaced
- STS Tail straps are riveted in place and have an even stretch to provide the snug, secure fit you need to keep skins in place
Share your thoughts
What is the length of this skin? Will it...
What is the length of this skin? Will it fit a 190cm ski?
The skins are 200cm long, they will fit your skis.
How wide is the webbing strip? If I have...
How wide is the webbing strip? If I have 138 underfoot, how much do I loose with the strip..?
It's about an inch. From what I have heard, all sorts of snow works its way under that center channel and starts un-sticking your skin from the middle out. I have skis that are 120mm underfoot and considered these skins for a while but went with normal ones to forgo the potential hassles of my skins coming unstuck. The extra weight is worth it to me because, who want hassles on a powder morning ski tour?
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I'm not really digging the strip in the middle of the skins. When you are exposed while skinning the last thing you want to worry about it your skin slipping. I would go with the non split skins if looking to get out and tour.