Great backcountry day pack
I have the 32L version and I find it to be perfect for a day in the backcountry. It carries my safety gear, skins, lunch, puffy, and helmet (if I'm feeling ambitious) all on the inside.
- The front pocket fits the safety gear (shovel, probe) as advertised, and not only the small BD shovels like the BD Outlaw pack.
- The larger main compartment has a small zipper pocket at the top, which fits small tools or goggles.
- the large main compartment zips open almost to the bottom of the pack, making the bottom easily accessible.
- comes in small sizes (I'm 5'4 and the pack fits me well)
- great ski carry system (A-frame is my favorite)
- reinforced gear loops for ice axe, etc.
- clip loops at the front for variably sized objects or puffy jackets.
- side straps to compress the profile when the pack isn't full.
- though it doesn't come with a helmet pouch, I've strapped my helmet onto the outside using the two diagonal straps. It also fits inside the large pack with shovel and all.
- needs another small pocket on the outside for small objects not to get lots on the bottom
- waist straps aren't as wide as they can be (e.g. with a multi-day pack)