Use it for skiing primarily. I am 172cm/65kg, generally wear 30" waist jeans, and the size M is just right on me wearing it over padded protective shorts. The softshell part a little bit loose, but its nice for unrestricted freedom of movement and excessive upper body heat transport.
Smooth and sturdy bombshell material, no problems with tree-branches so far.
Waterproof, breathable but when it gets really cold (-25C and lower) I can feel wind-chill, so good layering is a must.
Full set of outer pockets. Bottom protective panels do protect from the ski edges due to the big and though-out coverage area. The gaiters are generous and accommodate any boot, but there is no way to make it sealed when it's deep.
My personal favorite - two bib pockets. Walkie-talkie, digicam, spare gloves etc, no need for backpack on resorts now. And I'm not afraid of broken ribs cause it's securely stored in warmth on belly, and not dangling around in my outer shell pockets and not interfere with my skiing. Bib-to-bottom zipper problem solved by couple of stitches, not a big deal but might be improved.
Issues I'd like to modify:
- the bib straps with velcro panels are folded towards the body, and the doubled part (especially the seam at the strap's end) is pretty thick and annoying right over my clavicle. I think to fold it towards the outer shell is more natural.
Also the straps "Y"-stem on the back could be ~10cm higher to make them more stable on the shoulders.
- bib-pants zipper tab fixation (may be some velcro).
- gaiters width adjustment (velcro flap?)
- outer pockets zipper pull-tabs are too subtle. I can hardly feel it in my ski gloves while trying to find it blindfold.
- side vent zippers, w/o mesh (could be nice for vent and to have access to your knees).
Not too much, though.
Having several Stoic garments now I can say that the fit is the biggest challenge buying Stoic. If it fits you - it's worth it (don't forget about SAC and geartrade).
- Helpful? (1)