- Community Images
Ultralight, ultrasleek, ultrasafe.
You have the ABS Vario Base Unit equipped with the dual-airbag
system, so now you need a lightweight, streamlined attachable pack
for your quickie alpine adventures, one like the ABS Vario 18 Ultralight
Cover. With a capacity of 18 liters, two large front pockets,
designated ski and snowboard or snowshoe straps, and detachable
helmet, mesh and loop carriers, it fits everything you need in a
sleek and compact space. Zip on and go.
- Cushy harness system and hip-belt ensure carrying comfort
- Height-adjustable sternum strap and leg strap make sure that the pack stays on under stress
- Main compartment is top-accessible via horizontal zip for quick get-in-and-grabs
- Weighs only 10oz; carrying capacity with Vario Base Unit of 175 pounds
- Nylon ripstop is tough, lightweight, and durable
- Skis secure vertically or diagonally; snowboard or snowshoes secure vertically
- Detachable helmet holder gives you easy access when you need it
- Detachable mesh pocket offers additional storage for frequently accessed or wet and snowy gear
- Detachable carrying loops to secure all your alpine tools, when you need them
- Hydration-compatible so you can use your reservoir and stay quenched
- Two vertical front pockets with water-resistant zippers hold last-minute items
- Attaches securely to the absVario Base Unit with YKK zipper
Share your thoughts
Accompanies Me to Epic Places
Wearing the ABS Avalanche Rescue Devices Vario 18 Ultralight Cover with base unit at the top of the very famous Superior line in Utah.
Nice Dawn Patrol/Day-trip Zip On
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
Now that the airbag systems are starting to take over the backcountry pack industry and are now honing their systems to be the safest ever, the focus turns to the features the rest of the pack holds as that can be just as important. The ABS Avalanche Rescue Devices Vario 18 Ultralight Cover is an excellent cover for short jaunts or an easy access day trip and is probably the best cover ABS makes in the 20L and under side.
The design is very sleek and simple as there are two side pockets for smaller items and two pockets on top that are for glasses and perishable items and another that leads into the main compartment. The main area inside has a shovel blade/hydration bladder sleeve, probe/handle straps (attached via buttons and a bit clumsy) and a very good amount of room to it.
Features include a helmet/gear carry and a ski/snowboard carry. The helmet carry is a great addition as it uses clasps instead of prong clips and one can often use this part as both a helmet and gear carry at the same time. The ski carry is pretty good as it can go both vertical and diagonal so that the helmet carry can still be used. Snowboard wearers will be found wanting however as it only carries single planks vertical and makes the helmet/gear carry unusable.
Overall a great pack if you are looking for that everyday dawn patrol or 1/2 day zip on to your ABS base unit.