Select your style & size:Select options
Nothing funny about it.
Thanks to its skinny 9.1 diameter, low weight, and advanced dry treatments, the Beal Joker Unicore Dry Cover Climbing Rope is as equally suited to difficult sport routes as it is to soaking-wet alpine excursions. The Unicore construction eliminates sheath slippage, and the Dry Cover sheath treatment guarantees a high level of water and humidity resistance.
- Dry Cover technology coats each sheath fiber with a polymer treatment for high resistance to water, humidity, and dirt
- Unicore construction eliminates sheath slippage in wet conditions or when the sheath is accidentally severed
- Small 9.1mm diameter and a low weight of 53 g/per meter allow the Joker to perform as a single, double, or twin rope
- Guaranteed impact force rating of 8.2KN ensures a soft catch
- 6-7 UIAA fall rating ensures many days of reliable use at the crag
- Item #BEA0019
- Q & A
How many batteries?
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
On this rope's first outing, another climber asked how many batteries this neon orange rope takes. Lucky, it only takes three AAA's, but that's beside the point. So far, I've loved using this rope on wandering multi-pitches. On routes where I usually get a lot of drag, this skinny, superlight beauty slides around corners with ease. It has a supple feel through belays, and stays secure when you're holding weight. I have yet to fall on this rope yet, but I'll add more to this comment when I finally do.
Great light single rope
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
I am a Beal athlete and professional mountain guide. I have used the Joker unicore in Nepal, Canada, Washington and locally in Utah. Despite a thin 9.1 diameter, I trust my life to it on large alpine faces, and as a redpoint rope for difficult mixed and rock climbs. I highly recommend this product for alpinists looking for a light single rope, or those looking to shed a bit of rope weight for harder single pitch climbing.
The first thing I noticed about the Joker was how supple a cord it is, however, I have been really surprised by its durability. My joker unicore has survived a Nepal expedition, a winter of mixed climbing, a spring rock climbing, and is still going strong.
Love this rope
This is my favorite rope I have every climbed on, it has a bit of stretch which doesnt bother me at all in sport climbing but this would be a bad choice if you do a lot of top roping. very impressed with its durability as well.
Beal Joker Cut Test
This video shows how Unicore increases the safety of a climbing rope.